Thursday, December 23, 2010

I Am Not Middle Class

"They call it the American dream because you have to be asleep to believe it." - George Carlin

In today's Room for Debate in the New York Times, the topic of discussion was the middle class, or rather why so many Americans think that meaningless term applies to them. I readily admit that I don't know what "middle class" means. According to a Pew survey, nine people out of ten will describe themselves as middle class but no one has a solid definition.

I am a working person. I have a college degree and an income which outside of New York City, would give me some creature comforts. No matter. If I were unemployed I would be in big trouble financially.

I depend on employment. That makes me a worker. End of story. If more people called themselves workers, which they really are, they would be more politicized and less likely to be delusional about their status in this country.

So that explains it. Being middle class means never having to think about your situation. That would be too painful for the average American.